As mentioned last time, we’re on a journey to go through each Hygge manifesto. This week’s topic is – presence.
The focus of any Hygge mission is being fully present in a mundane moment and enjoying the small comforts of life. Hygge is charged with a strong orientation and commitment toward experiencing and savoring the present moment. You’ve heard it said before- it’s important to live in the present moment. We know it’s true but when it comes to actually doing it, it’s not easy.
A Lovely Year defines it beautifully “For a moment or activity to be truly hygge, everyone involved must be truly present, focusing on only what is happening at that moment.
Science shows that we are happiest when we are present – when we focus our attention on the here and now. When we are mindful of the moment we are in.”
Here are a few ways to stay present:
1. Don’t feast your eyes on your phone, tablet, or laptop. Being on these devices connect you to the outside world and removes you from the present environment. Put your phone away and get cozy.
2. Live each and every day to the best you can. We found 30 ways to do just that - 30 Ways to Live Life to the Fullest.
3. Surround yourself with others that keep you grounded and in the present moment.
4. Encourage activities such as baking, crafts, reading, board games, etc. Here’s a list of great Fall Activities.
5. Enjoy the silence or start doing something for your soul that gives you satisfaction.
This article has some wonderful ideas in addition to the ones mentioned above.
Hygge requires consciousness, a certain slowness, and the ability to not just be present – but recognize and enjoy the present.
How do you stay present? Let us know in the comments below.